Sunday 9 April 2017

Snippets


We took the loop around 'the hill' with the dog after breakfasting on strong coffee and what I'll call lava bread from Iceland. And after that loop, I took off down the coast towards Greystones and a stretch goal, maybe getting to Delgany or Kilpedder.

It's been a couple of weeks since I took this route and in that time the sand martins and terns have returned from winter warmer climes. Flocks of ten and some of twenty oystercatchers alternated with groups of turnstones in leaving the beach ahead of me. Later, I briefly watched swans in Bray Harbour protecting their tiny chicks from the swoops of predatory gulls.

The weather forecast was off by 12 hours. The cloud and drizzle didn't arrive until after my walk. I wish I'd brought my hat; four hours of bonce toasting was not good for me.

And while I think of it, a note to an unknown Bray chef; raw cabbage leaf is not equivalent to coleslaw in a ham sandwich.

Overheard snippets of conversations between Killiney and Greystones - make of them what you will. About 40% of conversations I heard were in Polish or Portuguese or German or other languages I couldn't identify.

Family on beach:
Dad: Mate, which way you going?
Toddler: My way!

Ladies walking:
I'm much tireder than I used to be. I find that often I don't have the energy to sit down.

Couple chatting:
Him: I heard he's coming back from South America a few days early.
Her: What? He's coming a few days before the wedding?

Ladies walking:
Rents have got unaffordable. The government hasta bring back rent control. We simply has to have it.

Two 'English' ladies:
All I remember is the poverty. And look here. It's an ice cream van, of all things.

Australian retirees on The Promenade:
It could be very nice in the right season.

Today's walk was a relatively flat 23 km. And I remain on track (sic) as you can see from the graph. To be clear, it will take me over 100 hours to complete the promised 500 km. So please remember to sponsor us.

No comments:

Post a Comment