Friday 21 April 2017

Lake

Gif
GoogleEarth time lapse screen shots
There's a new lake nearby and it came up in conversation when I visited a 3P teammate whose office overlooks the site. And the lake is a site; a lake being built in advance of the HS2 project, an amenity as compensation before those rail works obliterate other local lakes.

So there are lakes about to disappear. And their local flora and fauna will relocate to accommodate the need for northern expansion of London's workers dormitories.

The area around this stretch of the Grand Union Canal has changed considerably over the last 20 years. Factories have been demolished and replaced by office space as manufacturing has yielded to services. Does HS2 reflect that change: are factory workers inclined to commute the huge distances that service workers seem to tolerate?

With so much fresh water on the surface locally, I wonder about how few life-belts I see. There's an interesting thread of articles on the the theme of "Drowning doesn't look like drowning" that's probably worth a read every year as we prepare for summer.

I've been resting my knee this week though still climbing stairs rather than using the lifts. So this short canal walk served to verify my recovery. And I didn't walk the canal alone. Our walking conversation ranged across many of the topics of the day: May, Trump, Alzheimer to name an unjust few.

Help: can anyone advise me how to make gif animation work on blogger (because this gif picture is animated but not animating).

No comments:

Post a Comment