Sunday 5 March 2017

Loops

We did two loops of the neighbourhood which got me 7 km closer to my target. If a mark of good citizenship is carrying bags of dog poo for disposal, there were lots of good citizens out walking today, including me. One guy took it further (sic), bringing it home by car.

Conspicuous consumption is everywhere. So many large and mostly ugly residential property developments, surely reciprocity should matter in planning approvals - if the view is so good that big windows are desired, then the property should be made good looking too. Lots of new cars in front of these homes suggest credit is back in fashion. The French Revolution was in part a reaction against conspicuous consumption though exacerbated by a grim economic environment, unmanageable national debt and inequitable and burdensome taxation. Sounds familiar. Revolution may not be in the air today yet I can't get the 1984 Sarajevo Winter Olympics out of my head. Within eight years of those games, the Yugoslavian breakup had become the Bosnian war. It was kept 'local'. Are we facing into re-runs of history? Such are the things that cross my mind when out walking.

I still have 442.5 km to walk before June 23rd; there's lots more time for unreasoned ramblings (sic).

No comments:

Post a Comment