Thursday 23 March 2017

Kingfisher

A walk done many times and this time I was accompanied. Which gave me reasons to look and remark on things I take for granted. The tree, for example, in Harefield Golf Course that was killed by lightning a few years ago and now has become covered in countless woodpecker holes. The invasive parakeets who noisily go about their business overhead. The dismantled gravel loading points for the much touted great transport transfer from road to canal barges, during Olympic venue construction, now occupied by coots and moorhens. The honking of four Canada Geese flying above us, hidden by the tree canpopy. The swans seeming to stand on water to do neck calisthenics, doubltless impressing the twenty tufted duck close by. And then at Denham Deep Lock, where the Colne joins the Union Canal, there was a kingfisher perched on the NO FISHING sign; it saw us, there was a flash of blue and the moment was gone.

My 13th walk in this campaign, another 6.5 km walked off and I have thus exceeded my distance goal for March. This means I'm walking down the deficit of 25 km I carried from February. So I should be back on track by the end of March which will leave 350 km to be done by June 23.

Our fundraising continues well too. We had an office pot-luck lunch last Tuesday that brought out some excellent dishes and raised another sensible amount of money. Money? Are there any readers? Is it yet time for them to donate here?

No comments:

Post a Comment