Friday 24 February 2017

Menai

I drove up from London to Anglesea en route to the ferry to Dublin. I stopped at Menai Bridge having seen a walk in the AA book of UK walks (#99). Experience on this ferry journey gave me ETA probabilities ranging between 830 (p90) and 1100 (p10) and it was more like 945 when I got to Menai. Lengthy M6 road works and heavy M56 traffic meant I had about an hour to spare before ferry boarding closed at 1120. So it was going to have to be a short walk on a mild, bright morning, the day after storm Doris lashed these parts.

The very first thing I saw was a red squirrel - quite a coincidence having heard a radio story this morning about their likely extinction in the UK within 40 years due to a combination of imported pestilence and grey immigration. Then a skein of migrating geese passed overhead at Church Island and shortly afterwards, I found myself under the arches of Telford's Menai Suspension Bridge looking at Shellduck feeding on the ebbing tide.

I walked up to fields full of apparently pregnant sheep after passing rhododendron blooms scattered by the storm. I came across a clump of wind beheaded daffodils and watched two magpies gathering twigs. It's been that mild that nature has declared Spring.

Another coincidence as I crossed the border into Wales, I heard Burton reading Hopkins, an excellent Welsh connection on the Radio 3 breakfast show.

Just 4 km because I lingered at the views, leaving some 476 km to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment